Wonder Woman is a superhero in the DC Comics franchise. In the film, Diana leaves the Island of Themyscira with Steve Trevor, a U.S. Army Captain and allied spy, in hopes of stopping World War I and defeating Ares (God of War).
- Gal Gadot – Wonder Woman (Diana) is an immortal Amazon princess and Goddess and daughter of Queen Hippolyta and Zeus. Present day, Diana lives in France and works as an antique dealer.
- Robin Wright – General Antiope is the sister of Queen Hippolyta and Diana’s aunt whom is a fierce warrior who trained Diana to fight.
- Connie Nielsen – Queen Hippolyta is the Queen of Themyscira and mother of Diana (Wonder Woman). In the beginning of the movie, we learn that she is keeping a big secret from her Diana.
- Chris Pine – Steve Trevor is a U.S. Army Captain who is an allied spy in World War I who stole a book from scientist Doctor Maru who is creating a deadlier form of Mustard Gas at a German weapon’s facility.
- Danny Huston – General Erich Ludendorff is a mean-hearted German Army General.
- Elena Anaya – Doctor Isabel Maru, who is also known as Doctor Poison. She is a mad scientist who is a Chemistry Specialist and is an expert in creating poisons.
- David Thewlis –Sir Patrick who is the Speaker on the Imperial War Cabinet who is hiding his true identity as Ares, the son of Zeus also known as the “God of War.”
- Saïd Taghmaoui – Sameer is a secret agent and ally of Steve Trevor.
- Ewen Bremner – Charlie is sharpshooter with severe PTSD and ally of Steve Trevor.
- Eugene Brave Rock – Chief straddles the fence and is on no side of the war and ally of Steve Trevor.
I used to want to save the world, this beautiful place. But the closer you get, the more you see the great darkness within. I learnt this the hard way, a long, long time ago. – Diana
In present day, Diana (Wonder Woman) lives in France and works as an antique dealer. Diana receives a photograph from Bruce Wayne that was taken during World War I. After receiving the photograph, she has a flashback to the events that had taken place before and after the photo was taken.
Diana was the only child that was raised on the island of Themyscira, which was the home of the Amazon women. As a child, Diana wanted to become a warrior with the rest of the Amazonian women, but her mother, Queen Hippolyta would not allow it. However, her Aunt Antiope secretly trained her behind her mother’s back.
Hippolyta tells her the story of the “God of War,” Ares, who was a cold-hearted god that killed the other gods including his own father Zeus. Before Zeus died, he left the Amazon women a sword that would kill Ares if he ever came back for them. Here is where it is discovered that Diana was sculpted from clay by Zeus himself.
After Queen Hippolyta found out that Diana had been secretly trained by Antiope for years, she finally gave in and allowed her to be trained, but only if Antiope trained her to be better than any Amazonian woman. One day after a training session, Steve Trevor’s plane crashes on the Island in the water and Diana jumps in to save his life. Moments later a fight breaks out between the German soldiers who were following Steve and the Amazonian women. People were killed from both sides. However, the biggest loss was taken when Antiope dies after taking a bullet that was meant for Diana.
After Steve was interrogated by the Amazonian women with the Lasso of Truth, it is discovered that he is a spy and stole a journal of some sort, which contained formulas of poisons from Doctor Maru herself. Diana promises Steve to show him a way off the Island if he takes her with him. Both Steve and Diana leave the Island of Themyscira, to never return.
After leaving the Island, Steve delivers Doctor Maru’s notes to the members of the Imperial War Cabinet. Steve divulges that General Ludendorff will create and use the mustard gas to kill thousands of people. Later on, Diana seemingly believes that the General is actually Ares and vows to kill him in order to stop World War I. Sir Patrick, the speaker on the Imperial War Cabinet, secretly gives them (Diana, Steve, Sameer, and Charlie) the green light to stop the General from releasing the deadly poisonous gas.
After the group heads to Belgium, Diana stops and helps a village to free themselves from the Germans. Later, the group learns that General Ludendorff will attend a gala and pops up in order to gain more information in order to stop the German’s mission of creating and leaking the gas. Both Diana and Steve run out of the gala and discover that the General uses the gas and bombs the village that Diana and the group saved the day before.
Angry Diana fights and kills Ludendorff, but is surprised to learn that killing him does not stop the war. Moments later, Sir Patrick appears and it is revealed that he is the true Ares. Ares claims that he is not the one that causes war and only has a small influence on the same people that Diana is trying to save. Both Diana and Ares fight and he tries to convince her that they do not deserve to be saved. The secret that Diana’s mother has been keeping from her this entire time is finally revealed. It is not the sword, that kills gods, but it is herself, Diana that is the true weapon. As Diana is lying on the ground, trapped by a metal object, Steve has taken control of the plane that is carrying the gas and flies as far away as he can and blows the plane up with himself still inside. As Diana watches in horror, she gets back up and finally defeats Ares. Later in London, it is shown that people are celebrating the end of World War I.
I thought the movie was great! As a woman and lover of female superheroes, I was thrilled that this movie finally came out. The fighting scenes by Wonder Woman made me feel like I was fighting alongside of her.
Gal Gadot did a fantastic job as Wonder Woman, while capturing her strength, passion for humankind, and boldness. I give this movie a 5 out of 5 stars. I am definitely looking forward to seeing her in more DC movies. Having this background and knowing where she came from and how she was created, gave myself a glimpse of the powerful and strong woman she will play in the upcoming DC movies.
I recommend everyone to go see this movie! Watch out Marvel, DC is coming for you …